Frequently Asked Questions

Home Frequently Asked Questions

gil_photo_3Choosing a tax professional to represent you or your business is one of the most important decisions that you’ll make, especially when they’re presenting your case before the IRS.  It can be the difference between paying large penalties or negotiating a reasonable settlement.  Here are some considerations that will help you make the best decision:

  1. Get referrals from a trusted source that has a similar tax situation, such as a colleague, friend, financial advisor and even an attorney.
  2. Local, independent tax firms often focus on specialty areas for individuals and businesses in the area.
  3. Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) are accountants who are licensed by the state that they practice in.  These are professionals who have passed the rigorous CPA exam and are typically the most qualified to handle complicated accounting work.  Keep in mind that not all CPAs have the extensive experience handling IRS problem-resolution cases that the office of Gil Munoz has. Make sure that you hire someone who won’t be learning on the job, at your expense.
  4. Look for current memberships in prominent industry groups and professional societies like the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPAs), AICPA Tax Section or American Society of Tax Problem Solvers (ASTPS) and the Florida Institute of CPAs (FICPA).  Gil J. Munoz is an active member of all of these organizations.
  5. Experience makes a difference—While any Attorney, CPA or Enrolled Agent CAN represent clients before the IRS, only a few are truly qualified to provide the knowledge and experience needed to successfully represent someone before the IRS.Select someone with extensive experience handling the types of tax issues that are relevant to your needs. If your tax situation involves IRS problem-resolution, look no further than the offices of Gil Munoz.  Gil Munoz is a CPA with over 25 years’ experience in IRS problem resolution and can help you at every stage of the collections and audit process.

What Are My Options For Settling My Tax Debt?

When you or your company has outstanding tax debt, there are five basic options to consider.

  1. Payment In Full-The best way to avoid any penalties, fees or tax complications is of course to pay your bill in full, as soon as you are able.
  2. Installment Plan– Our office can try to negotiate a realistic payment plan that works within your budget or your company’s budget.
  3. Offer-In-Compromise– You may qualify for an Offer-in-Compromise, where you pay the IRS an amount less than 100% on the dollar, but as much as they otherwise would stand to collect.  Examiners are now permitted to consider a taxpayer’s current and future income potential when evaluating these types of offers. OIC’s are not granted freely but with our firm’s experience working with the local IRS office, you’ll be well represented.   We’ll ensure that your offer is qualified and realistic, not something that the IRS will immediately reject or that your budget cannot handle.
  4. Declare Bankruptcy– There are many different types of bankruptcy filings.  Understanding the qualifications of bankrupting your delinquent IRS taxes, how much debt can be discharged, and how these measures affect my credit record, are just some of the numerous and complex considerations to evaluate.  This topic is best discussed with an experienced tax professional like Gil Munoz, whose expertise is IRS problem-resolution.
  5. Declare As Currently Uncollectable-When your debt is declared as currently uncollectable, the IRS will temporarily stop all collection measures. You will still have to pay your tax bill, eventually, when your economic situation improves.  This topic needs to be discussed at length with a qualified tax professional before pursuing it, as not everyone will qualify for this designation.

After reviewing the details of your tax situation, GJM can provide a written recommendation that outlines the best options for you.  There may even be multiple options available to you, and for a small fee, Gil’s office can provide his recommendation in writing.  When you’re tired of worrying about your IRS problem and just want the facts, contact Gil J. Munoz, CPA.

IRS Employee Conduct Guidelines

There are specific procedural guidelines that an IRS agent must follow when contacting taxpayers, whether the taxpayer is delinquent or not.  The rules are specific and breaking them could result in the termination of an agent.

  1. An agent has specific hours during the week when he may contact a taxpayer.
  2. The agent must arrange for contact in a reasonably convenient location.
  3. When represented by a tax professional, the agent may not contact the taxpayer directly (unless special authorizations are given).
  4. The agent may not contact someone at work if their employer does not allow it.

If you have unfiled or unpaid taxes and want to resolve them, let the office of Gil Munoz, CPA and experienced IRS problem-resolution professional handle your case.  You’ll sleep better tonight knowing that we’re on your side.